Friday, April 25, 2008

Atheist

I am an atheist when it comes to the god of violent jihad.
I am an atheist when it comes to the lord who converts by the sword.
I am an atheist when it comes to the mission of politicians using religion as ammunition. 

I believe in you - the artist of trees and galaxies
I believe in you - the poet of oceans and rivers and streams
I believe in you - the god of compassion who calls us to action
I believe in you

I believe in you - majestic designer of space and time
I believe in you - composer of beauty and music of life
I believe in you - the holy forgiver and wild reconciler
I believe in you

I am an atheist to the gods of the greedy ignoring the needy.
I am an atheist to the gods who make others torture and suffer
I am an atheist when it comes to the view of the chosen few, who judge and condemn all who differ them. 

I believe in you - mighty in meekness and gentle in power
I believe in you - the word who has spoken good news to the broken
I believe in you - transcending mystery, with us in history
I believe in you

~ words written by Brian McLaren and Aaron Strumpel

This song was introduced to me while attending the Everything Must Change conference two weekends ago. I was hesitant about it at first and then the words really started to penetrate. I have to say that I really like this song. I don't think we will be singing it at church any time soon but I often sing it in my head quite a bit. I especially like to sing it when I hear about a certain "christian" church sponsoring a rally against homosexuals in my neighborhood! ARG!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You said penetrate.

Hillary said...

HA! That is funny...

James Diggs said...

cool song- I could see singing this in church.

Peace,

James

Anonymous said...

11-57 is the best song on that album. I've actually had the album for several months, and that's the one that is in constant rotation on my Zune.

Good stuff.

Brad